It’s no secret that the real estate market operates on a warm weather cycle, home buying and renting is at it’s peak during this time of year and as a result it makes summer one of the best times to move. But, while it’s one of the best times – it’s also one of the busiest times. At, My Dwelling we understand how demanding and time consuming moving can be so we’ve put together a moving checklist to help you stay on track as you pack.
Below are those tips to help you get started:
9 – 10 Weeks Out
- Get organized: Start a file with all your move-related paperwork.
- Research moving companies: Ask family and friends for recommendations, utilize online review sites to help in your decision.
7 – 8 Weeks Out
- Get supplies: Buy packing materials – boxes, tape, markers and bubble wrap.
- Start sorting: Decide what items you’d like to keep, sell, or donate. Also, host your garage sale around this time – you’ll make a few extra bucks to utilize towards moving expenses.
- Notify schools: If you have kids, get copies of their school records and check into the enrollment process at the schools near your new residence.
- Medical records: Check with your doctor to get copies of your family’s medical records.
- Insurance: Consider movers insurance
5 – 6 Weeks Out
Give notice: Most landlords require a minimum 30 day notice that you are vacating, but double check your lease to ensure that you are honoring your contract.
Book it: Finalize your moving truck and movers insurance if you decide to use it.
- Start packing: Begin boxing up the things you won’t need right away. Don’t forget to label boxes and use color coded tape.
- Notify utilities: Start the process of closing out utility service at your current place and getting utilities set up at your new residence.
3 – 4 Weeks Out
- Change your address: Complete a change of address form on the USPS website. Notify banks and credit cards of your new address.
- Transfer renter’s insurance: If your current home is covered, check with your agent to transfer the policy to your new home.
1 – 2 Weeks Out
- Empty fridge: Use up food items that you don’t want to move or donate items to your local food pantry.
- Pack away: Now’s the time to start boxing up everything left in your home. Again, don’t forget to label!
- Coordinate your valuables: You don’t want valuable items mixed up with your other packed items. Keep them in a safe place so you can transport them yourself.
- CONFIRM: Check in with your mover to confirm the time and date of the move.
- The Essentials: Prepare an overnight bag that will stay with you fill it with items you will need right away at your new place.
1 Day Before
- Keep important documents handy: Make sure to have any documents related to the move ready.
- Defrost and dispose: Finish emptying and defrost your refrigerator. Also, check that cabinets are indeed empty.
- Work with your movers: Assist your movers by pointing out fragile or large items right away. Be sure to be there when the movers load your items onto the truck. You’ll be responsible for verifying that they loaded everything. Be available to answer all their questions.
- One final sweep: Before the movers pull away, do a final check of your home to make sure nothing was left behind.