If you have multiple properties that are vacant this winter, it is essential to upkeep them to prevent frozen pipes, burglary and more. My Dwelling provides Property Management with their Home & Condo Management program. They will visit your property weekly and take all the worry out of the home being vacant. They also provide other services such as coordinating maintenance repairs, move-in/out checklists, rent collection, security deposit, and accounting management. They can also monitor furnaces, walk throughs following a rain storm, schedule gutter cleanings and more!
Here are some things to do with a vacant property during the winter:
- To make sure your home looks like it is continuously occupied, set some interior lights on a timer, and put motion-sensor lights on the exterior.
- Arrange for someone to shovel the driveway after a snow storm.
- Confirm that your alarm systems are in working order and have been turned on. Or download an app to your phone that can control the alarm from anywhere.
- Protect your pipes by turning off your water if no one will be in the home for extended periods of time. Hire a plumber to blow compressed air through the pipes to make sure there is no excess water left.
- If the home will only be vacant for a short amount of time, you will need to keep the home at a minimum of 55°F to keep pipes from freezing. Leaving room doors and under the sink cabinets open will also help the circulation.
- Clean gutters to prevent ice dams from occurring.
- Check large overhanging branches and consider taking them down. They could be a hazard in a snow storm.
- Clean, defrost and unplug refrigerators and freezers by wiping them dry and leaving doors propped open to prevent mildew.
- Have your chimney inspected and closed to make sure that no critters will find their way into your property.
These are imperative to complete before your property would be considered winterized. Taking care of your property can take time and skills you may not have. Consider hiring a representative from the Home & Condo Management who could take care of all of these chores for you. Professional, respectful and timely, the Home & Condo Management division are people you can trust.